For ten years, Providence has served the hungry and those in need through the Sunday afternoon Worship Meal. At 4 pm, any and all who need a meal, fresh produce and shelf-stable items are received at Providence House. This is only accomplished in cooperation with Feeding America/Manna, Fresh Market and other like-minded volunteers from the Hendersonville area (both churches and individuals). Any fresh food left over is donated to Hendersonville Rescue Mission and/or Interfaith Assistance Ministries (IAM).
There are many ways to be involved!
- Setting up and preparation.
- Providing specific foods made at home, such as chili and corn bread, or soup.
- Serving the meal.
- Establishing relationships with guests.
- Clean-up after the meal.
- Supplying things like personal care items, socks, plastic grocery bags, warm winter clothing, and more.
- Purchasing specific food items for lunches.
- Picking up donations.
Interested in being a part of the Worship Meal? Whether you have a little or a lot to invest, we welcome you! Using the form at the bottom of the page send us a message that includes your phone and email and we will find the perfect spot for you!
“There’s a hunger beyond food that’s expressed in food,
and that’s why feeding is always a kind of miracle.” Sara Miles
The Storehouse is a local ministry providing food and basic necessities. Providence partners with the Storehouse to help marginalized kids and teens in Henderson County have a good Christmas. Go to the Blessings in Boxes tab at The Storehouse to see amazing pictures of what happens at Christmas. The first year doing this, the Storehouse served about 750 kids. The next year, they served 2500 kids. Through the gifts requested, the Storehouse focuses on kids getting something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation. And here’s why:
- I was hungry and you fed me,
- I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
- I was homeless and you gave me a room,
- I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
- I was sick and you stopped to visit,
- I was in prison and you came to me.’
(Jesus, in Gospel of Matthew, 25:34-36 MSG)